- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 8 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, 1/4 cup oil, garlic and sage. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Drain and discard marinade.
- With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the chicken; rub butter under the skin. Fill cavity with lemon wedges. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onions, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Arrange around chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lemon & Sage Roasted Chicken
Sort By :
"We loved this roast chicken! Very flavorful and moist. We had leftover chicken and shredded it for a salad the following day. Great recipe!"
"I think the calorie count was off........whatever, it was a wonderful terrfic dinner.....I tried this, without the potatoes and onions....It was EXCELLENT...paired with an asparagus drizzled with brown butter side, sprinkled with just a smidgeon of freshly ground parmesan........as well as a simple herb infused quinoa....... When you find a terrific dish, I don't count calories....I count the taste and this was truely wonderful. Thank you!"
"907 calories per serving?! Is that right?!"