Leg of Lamb Dinner Recipe
- 1 leg of lamb (5 to 7 pounds)
- 8 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 package (16 ounces) baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 1. Remove thin fat layer from roast. Make deep cuts in the meat; insert a garlic sliver in each. Combine 3 teaspoons rosemary, mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt, mint and pepper. Stir in water. Rub over meat. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the potatoes, carrots, oil and remaining rosemary and salt. Place in another greased roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-3/4 hours.
- 3. Baste roast with pan drippings; bake 30 minutes to 2 hours longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (160° for medium-well, 170° for well-done).
- 4. Add peas to vegetable mixture; bake 10 minutes longer or until vegetables are browned and tender. Remove roast and vegetables to a warm serving platter and keep warm.
- 5. Strain pan drippings into a saucepan; skim fat. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, broth and cold water until smooth; gradually add to drippings. Stir in jelly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 10-12 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 372 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Leg of Lamb Dinner
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.