Leeks in Mustard Sauce Recipe
Leeks have a delicious oniony flavor and they are so wonderful in this side dish. The mustard sauce compliments the leeks flavor well and it goes well with many main dishes.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 10 medium leeks (white portion only)
- 2 green onions with tops, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Dash white pepper
- 1. Cut leeks into 1-1/2-in. slices, then julienne. In a large skillet, saute leeks, onions and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture begins to thicken, bubbles around the edges and reaches 160°, about 20 minutes. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in mustard and pepper.
- 3. Transfer leek mixture to a serving bowl; top with mustard sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
1/2 cup equals 185 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC