Leek Tart Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 9 to 11 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 3-1/2 pounds leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute leeks in drippings until tender; stir in the bacon. Stir in flour until blended; set aside.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Transfer to an ungreased 10-in. springform pan. Spoon leek mixture into crust. Trim pastry to 1/4 in. above filling; press pastry against sides of pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over leek mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 352 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.