Leek Potato Pancakes
I received this recipe from my great-grandmother who brought this over from England, where they enjoyed leeks immensely during the Fall and Winter.Suzanne Kesel, Cohocton, New York
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender,
- adding leeks during the last 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; mash with eggs, bread crumbs,
- cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in leeks. Cover and refrigerate for 1
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden
- brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper
- towels. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 12 pancakes.
Nutritional Facts: 2 pancakes with 1 tablespoon sour cream equals 338 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 155 mg cholesterol, 611 mg sodium,