- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute onions until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook until tender. Stir in sauerkraut and half of the bacon. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, celery seed and pepper. Drain pasta.
- Place a fourth of the pasta in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer each with a fourth of the sauerkraut and soup mixture. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Lazy Pierogi Bake in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p63
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lazy Pierogi Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2014
"My family loves it. It takes some time to make but it's worth it. This meal is a regular in our home."