- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 carrot slices (1/8 inch thick)
- 3 hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices process Swiss cheese
- 12 ripe olive slices
- 12 pimiento slices
- 6 hot dog buns, split
- 6 thin slices cooked turkey or other deli meat
- 12 slices process American cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 18 potato sticks
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard; set aside. Cut each carrot slice into three triangles; set aside.
- For each lion, place half of a hamburger bun, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet (three lions per sheet). Spread with a small amount of the mayonnaise mixture. Top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Add two olives for eyes, a carrot triangle for nose and two pimientos for mouth. Position the top half of a hot dog bun, cut side up, below head for body. Spread with mayonnaise mixture. Top with turkey and American cheese, cutting to fit the bun.
- For the tail, slice 1/2 in. from one end of the hot dog bun bottom. Cut remaining portion into four 2-1/4-in. strips for legs. Position the legs and tail with cut side up; spread with mayonnaise mixture.
- Cut one slice of American cheese into strips to fit over legs and tail. Place over the mayonnaise mixture, tucking under cheese of the body.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is slightly melted and the lion holds its shape, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle shredded cheese on the end of the tail and around head. Broil 30 seconds longer or until cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Add potato sticks for whiskers. If desired, add lettuce under legs for grass. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lazy Lion Melt in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p39
Reviews for Lazy Lion Melt(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Sandwich Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >