"The rich frosting really makes this delicious cake," writes Lillian Marcotte of Woodstock, Vermont. "I frequently rely on this recipe when I want something good in a hurry." It's sweetly priced at just 20 cents a square.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over warm cake. Broil 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Lazy Day Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p22
Reviews for Lazy Day Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review