A cake that's savory instead of sweet? Absolutely! Everyone who tastes this cheesy concoction, topped with a dilly of a cucumber sauce, will relish its richness and come back for more. "It's a family favorite," writes Donna Cline of Pensacola, Florida.—Donna Cline, Pensacola, Florida
- 1-1/3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 3/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- CUCUMBER DILL SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs, beat on low speed just until combined. Add sour cream, flour, onion, salt and pepper; beat just until combined. Pour 1 cup into crust; sprinkle with carrots. Continue layering with 1 cup cream cheese mixture, red pepper, then remaining cream cheese mixture. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate over night. In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; refrigerate.
- Remove sides of pan. Serve chilled or warm with cucumber dill sauce.
- To serve warm, remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Let cheesecake come to room temperature for 30 minutes, then reheat at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-12 main-dish servings; 12-14 appetizer servings.
Originally published as Layered Vegetable Cheesecake in Country Woman March/April 1997, p10
Reviews for Layered Vegetable Cheesecake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review