Layered Taco Salad
I invented this taco salad to make my kids happy. Make it with ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken and it's equally good. —Betty Nickels, Tampa, Florida
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 ounces baked tortilla chips (about 70 chips)
- 12 cups sliced iceberg lettuce
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large sweet yellow or red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes
- or until no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over beef; stir to combine. In a small bowl,
- mix salsa and lime juice.
- Arrange tortilla chips on a serving platter; layer with lettuce,
- tomatoes, beans, cheese, yellow pepper, beef mixture, onion, salsa
- mixture and sour cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 442 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 925 mg sodium,