Layered Summertime Salad Recipe
Luscious layers of pasta and veggies make up this super summer salad that can be made ahead for warm-weather picnics and deck parties. It makes enough to feed a crowd.—Betty Fulks, Onia, Arkansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2 cups uncooked gemelli or spiral pasta
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup fresh snow peas, trimmed and halved
- 1 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar and garlic powder; set aside. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water; toss with onions and half of the bacon.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, layer half of the romaine, pasta mixture, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper, mayonnaise mixture and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 186 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC