Layered Salad with Walnuts Recipe
Virginia Miracle SARASOTA, FLORIDA My husband and I retired here in 1983. I love to cook and often make this refreshing layer salad. It looks so pretty in a glass bowl. Our friends really enjoy it, plus I can make it ahead of time.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small bowl, toss walnuts with the oil, garlic salt and dill. Spread in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Cool.
- 2. In a 2-1/2-qt. bowl, layer 2 cups lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, peas, 3/4 cup walnuts and remaining lettuce.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Spread dressing over top of salad (do not toss). Chill until serving.
- 4. Just before serving, top with remaining walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 354 calories, 32 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC