Layered Salad Reuben-Style Recipe
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed rye bread
- 1 package (16 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 2 cups chopped pastrami
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Thousand Island salad dressing
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, salt and pepper. Add bread cubes and toss to coat.
- 2. Arrange in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, layer half the salad greens, pastrami, tomato, sauerkraut, onions and dressing; repeat layers. Sprinkle with croutons and cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 172 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.