Layered Rueben Loaf Recipe
This meat loaf really captures the wonderful flavor of reuben sandwiches. When my family tires of regular meat loaf, I turn to this recipe from my niece. - Darlene Loudon, Creston, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 ounces deli pastrami, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, ketchup, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; set aside. In another large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, pastrami, cheese, sour cream and mustard.
- 2. Press a third of the beef mixture into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Top with half of the pastrami mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 302 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 803 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC