This meat loaf really captures the wonderful flavor of reuben sandwiches. When my family tires of regular meat loaf, I turn to this recipe from my niece. - Darlene Loudon, Creston, Iowa
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 ounces deli pastrami, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, ketchup, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; set aside. In another large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, pastrami, cheese, sour cream and mustard.
- Press a third of the beef mixture into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Top with half of the pastrami mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Reuben Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p51
Reviews for Layered Rueben Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review