- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 ounces deli pastrami, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, ketchup, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; set aside. In another large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, pastrami, cheese, sour cream and mustard.
- Press a third of the beef mixture into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Top with half of the pastrami mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Layered Rueben Loaf
Sort By :
"My husband said this was tasty and I agree. I made 1/2 this recipe and baked it in a 3 cup Pyrex casserole dish. My alterations threw the cook time off because the loaf was finished after 45 minutes. I'll definately make this recipe again."
"This is a particularly HUGE success for our family! Family members who are not crazy about sauerkraut even enjoy this recipe for SECONDS! Very easy to make, and is made as a regular item in our household! Definitely a MUST TRY recipe!"