- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups leftover beef stew
- 4 medium Yukon potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 8 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour, rosemary, pepper and salt until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Spoon 2 cups stew into a greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish. Layer with half of the potatoes and sauce mixture. Layer with remaining stew, potatoes and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. In a microwave, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the crackers, parsley and garlic powder. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Layered Potato Beef Casserole in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p19
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Layered Potato Beef Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review