Layered Macaroni Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add cottage cheese.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer 1 cup meat sauce, a third of the macaroni mixture and a third of the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Layered Macaroni Casserole
Sort By :
This recipe was AMAZING for something different. My Husband and daughter LOVE macaroni and cheese so trying this suped up version was a no brainer. IT IS DELICIOUS... Almost like macaroni and cheese meets lasagna. It is GREAT! You HAVE TO TRY IT! Super easy to put together and delightful results! Thank you taste of home!
Agree with you kookinmama. Going to try this recipe. All the fat free stuff that I have been trying have lost me over 20 lbs and dropped my cholesterol. Can't wait to make this!
lighten up bouncey! Maybe 40 yrs ago she used full fat cheese but these days they're is no reason to. Get heart smart!!
This sounds delicious...except for all the fat-free cheese. over 40 years ago...there was no fat free cheese or fat free cottage cheese. you could not have invented that 40 years ago! Maybe 4 years ago. Sorry but new studies have shown that fat is not bad for you after all...eat less and exercise and enjoy some fat in your food and less sugar!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >