Layered Italian Casserole Recipe
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Italian tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups (32 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, parsley and oregano; heat through.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Drain the spaghetti.
- 3. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the spaghetti, cheese mixture and remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers (dish will be full).
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 413 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,067 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Reviews for Layered Italian Casserole
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.