- 16 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place two-thirds of the spinach in a 4-qt. salad bowl. Sprinkle with half of the sugar, pepper and salt. Top with eggs, ham and remaining spinach. Sprinkle with remaining sugar, pepper and salt. Arrange onion slices on top.
- In a large bowl, combine the dressing mix, mayonnaise and sour cream. Spread over onions. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Layered Ham and Spinach Salad
Sort By :
"This was a good salad, but I would make a few changes: first, my husband said there was too much dressing, so I would cut the dressing ingredients in half. Also, I used packaged pre-shredded cheese, which made it much too salty, something I've noticed before - shred fresh from a block of cheese. Save 1-2 of the hard-boiled eggs to garnish the top of the salad. I did add chopped fresh pineapple chunks layered with the ham - the sweetness contrasted very well with the saltiness of the bacon. However, I suggest draining the pineapple well on paper towels first so that excess liquid from them doesn't ruin the salad's texture. I used a medium package of baby spinach, which was plenty - I don't think 16 cups is necessary unless perhaps you're using the regular, torn up."