- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown
- sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, ginger, salt, baking
- soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes or
- until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Whisk in
- milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture
- comes to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and
- refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Beat in butter and extract until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled
- gingerbread. Cover and freeze 15 minutes.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and
- butter; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; whisk in molasses,
- allspice, ginger and salt. Transfer to a large bowl; add
- confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth. Spread over buttercream
- layer. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 187 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.