People always pass on compliments when I take this salad to covered-dish suppers. It's nice on a hot day...with a winter meal...or as a dessert! We live on a small farm where my garden gives me lots of possibilities for fresh food. I enjoy sewing, too—especially for our granddaughter.
Recommended: 15 Make-Ahead Salad Recipes
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- FRUIT SALAD:
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- Place first six ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Cool completely. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Layer fruit in a large glass bowl. Pour juice mixture over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours. Yield: 12 servings
Originally published as Layered Fresh Fruit Salad in Country Woman July/August 1991, p29
Reviews for Layered Fresh Fruit Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 17, 2010
"I've made this salad many times and people rave about it. My adult children request I bring it to family gatherings. I usually omit the grapefruit but put fresh blackberries on top of it. They really give it an elegant look."