People always pass on compliments when I take this salad to covered-dish suppers. It's nice on a hot day...with a winter meal...or as a dessert! We live on a small farm where my garden gives me lots of possibilities for fresh food. I enjoy sewing, too—especially for our granddaughter.
Recommended: 15 Make-Ahead Salad Recipes
- CITRUS SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- FRUIT SALAD:
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- In a saucepan, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil; simmer 5 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large clear glass salad bowl, arrange fruit in layers in order listed. Remove cinnamon stick from the sauce and pour sauce over fruit. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Layered Fresh Fruit Salad in Country Woman July/August 1991, p29
Reviews for Layered Fresh Fruit Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 17, 2010
"I've made this salad many times and people rave about it. My adult children request I bring it to family gatherings. I usually omit the grapefruit but put fresh blackberries on top of it. They really give it an elegant look."