People always pass on compliments when I take this salad to covered-dish suppers. It's nice on a hot day...with a winter meal...or as a dessert! We live on a small farm where my garden gives me lots of possibilities for fresh food. I enjoy sewing, too—especially for our granddaughter.
- CITRUS SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- FRUIT SALAD:
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- In a saucepan, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil; simmer 5 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large clear glass salad bowl, arrange fruit in layers in order listed. Remove cinnamon stick from the sauce and pour sauce over fruit. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Layered Fresh Fruit Salad in Country Woman July/August 1991, p29
Reviews for Layered Fresh Fruit Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 17, 2010
"I've made this salad many times and people rave about it. My adult children request I bring it to family gatherings. I usually omit the grapefruit but put fresh blackberries on top of it. They really give it an elegant look."