Layered Deli Loaf Recipe
This recipe is special to me because it was handed down from my grandma. A tangy sauce, flavored with horseradish and Dijon mustard, sparks a hearty assortment of meats and cheeses. It feeds a crowd, so it's perfect for a party or a potluck. My husband says it's the best sub sandwich he's ever had. -Sarah Kraemer, Rockford, Illinois
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/3 pound sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/3 pound sliced cheddar cheese
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 large dill pickle, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish and mustard. Cut bread in half. Carefully hollow out bottom and top of loaf, leaving 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread butter on cut sides of bread.
- 2. In the shell, layer ham, a third of the mayonnaise mixture, Monterey Jack cheese, turkey, a third of the mayonnaise mixture, cheddar cheese, roast beef, remaining mayonnaise mixture, tomato, pickle, onion and lettuce.
- 3. Replace top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 474 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,541 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC