- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) lemon curd
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Sift flour and baking powder together twice.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in orange juice. Fold in flour mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and extract; beat until soft peaks form. Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with one jar lemon curd. Top with another cake layer; spread with 1 cup whipped cream. Top with another cake layer; spread with remaining lemon curd. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with candied orange. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Layered Citrus Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p86
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Layered Citrus Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review