Layered Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs, orange juice and oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts (batter will be thick).
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peel; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice: 544 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Layered Carrot Cake
"Made this cake exactly as the recipe instructed. Turned out fabulous!! Guests loved it. Will definitely be making this again and again!"
"GREAT! I used packaged peeled baby carrots grated through a food processor. Added 1/4 C dark brown sugar and omitted raisins ( 1/2 C coconut instead). Next time I will use orange liquor in the icing as Grand Marnay. Best carrot cake ever!"
"I MADE THIS yesterday for my family reunion. It was a HIT! Everybody, mentioned how it was better than the carrot cake they've purchased at bakeries. As much as possible, I followed the recipe, but I was short on orange zest and confection sugar for the frosting.... it still came out great. For the cake, I added a few dried cranberries, some sweetened coconut and a few Medjool dates and finally instead of just crushing them, I creamed my Walnuts. It made for a denser cake, yet still VERY moist and fragrant. I loved the experience. I loved the accolades. I loved the taste....however, I cant help but wish there was something else I could have done to the batter to add a bit more "humph" to it. Like a kick or something? LOL! Thanks for this recipe!"
"This is the best carrot cake I have ever made. It has been 2 days since I made it and it is even more moist than the first day!"
"Yummy! And so convenient that it uses cake mix & pudding mix. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa"
"So easy and So good!!!"
"I don't own the cake Doctor and I'm so happy to have this recipe! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!"
"Oh, I guess we both have the cake Doctor...."
"Yes page 109 in the cake doctor"
"This was the Best carrot cake recipe I have ever made!!!!!"
"My hubby couldn't resist the huge bag of carrots, so I needed to use them up. I liked this recipe, but I didn't have 1) the yellow cake mix (I had white) and 2) no vanilla pudding mix (I had cream cheese pudding mix instead)and guess what? It came out very delish! Even w/out the frosting (I couldn't wait to try it). I'm sending it w/my hubby to share at work. Thank you for a very pleasing recipe!!!"
"I made this for my Mother in law's birthday. It was a big hit. I used fresh squeezed oranges for the juice and it had awesome flavor! The frosting was a little runny so I would suggest thickening it with some more powdered sugar"