Layered Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs, orange juice and oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts (batter will be thick).
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peel; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice: 544 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Layered Carrot Cake
"GREAT! I used packaged peeled baby carrots grated through a food processor. Added 1/4 C dark brown sugar and omitted raisins ( 1/2 C coconut instead). Next time I will use orange liquor in the icing as Grand Marnay. Best carrot cake ever!"
"I MADE THIS yesterday for my family reunion. It was a HIT! Everybody, mentioned how it was better than the carrot cake they've purchased at bakeries. As much as possible, I followed the recipe, but I was short on orange zest and confection sugar for the frosting.... it still came out great. For the cake, I added a few dried cranberries, some sweetened coconut and a few Medjool dates and finally instead of just crushing them, I creamed my Walnuts. It made for a denser cake, yet still VERY moist and fragrant. I loved the experience. I loved the accolades. I loved the taste....however, I cant help but wish there was something else I could have done to the batter to add a bit more "humph" to it. Like a kick or something? LOL! Thanks for this recipe!"
"This is the best carrot cake I have ever made. It has been 2 days since I made it and it is even more moist than the first day!"
"Yummy! And so convenient that it uses cake mix & pudding mix. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa"
"So easy and So good!!!"
"I don't own the cake Doctor and I'm so happy to have this recipe! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!"
"Oh, I guess we both have the cake Doctor...."
"Yes page 109 in the cake doctor"
"This was the Best carrot cake recipe I have ever made!!!!!"
"My hubby couldn't resist the huge bag of carrots, so I needed to use them up. I liked this recipe, but I didn't have 1) the yellow cake mix (I had white) and 2) no vanilla pudding mix (I had cream cheese pudding mix instead)and guess what? It came out very delish! Even w/out the frosting (I couldn't wait to try it). I'm sending it w/my hubby to share at work. Thank you for a very pleasing recipe!!!"
"I made this for my Mother in law's birthday. It was a big hit. I used fresh squeezed oranges for the juice and it had awesome flavor! The frosting was a little runny so I would suggest thickening it with some more powdered sugar"
"A real crowd pleaser,easy, quick and everyone loved it."