Layered Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs, orange juice and oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts (batter will be thick).
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peel; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Layered Carrot Cake
Sort By :
I MADE THIS yesterday for my family reunion. It was a HIT! Everybody, mentioned how it was better than the carrot cake they've purchased at bakeries. As much as possible, I followed the recipe, but I was short on orange zest and confection sugar for the frosting.... it still came out great. For the cake, I added a few dried cranberries, some sweetened coconut and a few Medjool dates and finally instead of just crushing them, I creamed my Walnuts. It made for a denser cake, yet still VERY moist and fragrant. I loved the experience. I loved the accolades. I loved the taste....however, I cant help but wish there was something else I could have done to the batter to add a bit more "humph" to it. Like a kick or something? LOL! Thanks for this recipe!
WOW! I decided to make this for my 90 year old dad for Father's Day. It is by far the best carrot cake I have ever made. I made the base cake as written. I adjusted the frosting as follows:
I added an extra 1/3 package of cream cheese and 2 T of butter. I also added a tad more confection sugar. I used 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of OJ for the liquid. The key to this great frosting is to use a stand mixer and once all ingredients have been put together mix on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes. It is the key to fluffy cream cheese frosting. I will never go back to a scratch carrot cake again. None of the others had the flavor and moistness of this one.
I usually won't make a dessert recipe unless I make it from scratch. However when I was in a bit of a jam this recipe was quick, easy and did taste good for a boxed cake mix. So thank you for opening my eyes to sometimes boxed cake can be good.
This is the best carrot cake I have ever made. It has been 2 days since I made it and it is even more moist than the first day!
Yummy! And so convenient that it uses cake mix & pudding mix. Definitely a keeper!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Carrot Cake >
- Carrot Cake Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >