"I have always enjoyed cooking and baking," relates Sharon Miller from Elkhart, Indiana. "Now I have grandchildren that like to help me in the kitchen. These chocolaty bars are one of our favorites."
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, nuts, oil and egg until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, chocolate chips and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Stir in vanilla. Spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Layered Brownies in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p46
Reviews for Layered Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2011
"These were very easy to make and very good. Don't rely on a toothpick test to tell if they are done though as the center is very gooey and will set as they cool."