Layered Brownies Recipe
"I have always enjoyed cooking and baking," relates Sharon Miller from Elkhart, Indiana. "Now I have grandchildren that like to help me in the kitchen. These chocolaty bars are one of our favorites."
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, nuts, oil and egg until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, chocolate chips and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Stir in vanilla. Spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Layered Brownies in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p46
Reviews for Layered Brownies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2011
These were very easy to make and very good. Don't rely on a toothpick test to tell if they are done though as the center is very gooey and will set as they cool.