Graham crackers are sandwiched between a brownie base and chocolate chip cookie top in these terrific treats. "My mother made these bar cookies for us, and now I make them for my children," relates Amy Corey of Monticello, Maine.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 9 whole graham crackers
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture.
- Remove a third of the batter to another bowl; stir in melted chocolate. Fold in walnuts. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Arrange graham crackers over top.
- Add chocolate chips to remaining batter. Drop by spoonfuls over graham crackers and spread evenly. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Layered Brownie Cookies in Country Woman May/June 2000, p43
Reviews for Layered Brownie Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review