The basil in the dressing makes this salad stand out from the usual layered ones. The colorful ingredients look beautiful and taste wonderful together. It's especially impressive on a potluck buffet. -Marcy Cella, L'Anse, Michigan
- 4 cups torn assorted salad greens
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1-1/2 cups cooked macaroni shells
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3/4 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut into wedges, optional
- In a 3-1/2-qt. glass bowl, layer greens, carrots, macaroni, peas, onion, ham and cheeses. In a small bowl, combine the first six dressing ingredients; spread over salad. Garnish with eggs if desired. Cover and chill for several hours. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Layered Basil Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p37
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Layered Basil Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review