- 4 cups torn assorted salad greens
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1-1/2 cups cooked macaroni shells
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3/4 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut into wedges, optional
- In a 3-1/2-qt. glass bowl, layer greens, carrots, macaroni, peas, onion, ham and cheeses. In a small bowl, combine the first six dressing ingredients; spread over salad. Garnish with eggs if desired. Cover and chill for several hours. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Layered Basil Salad
"This recipe was in the first Taste of Home cookbook I ever purchased and so happened I needed a salad for a work "food day." It was a MAJOR hit and I've been making it ever since. You can also doctor it with different tastes that meet your family's desires....for example we replace the carrots with another veggie. In addition, I make a very simple light macaroni salad (with a bit of the basil dressing or even ranch) to use instead of the plain macaroni. If you use only a bit of dressing, it won't sog the salad. That way the problem of only the first scooper getting some dressing is lessened. Love this recipe!"
"I love this recipe. and my kids do, too. It's one they request when they come home to visit."
"I have been making this since I saw it in the magazine many years ago. Like another reviewer, I also use bacon instead of ham. It's beautiful as well as delicious."
"I found the dressing to be way to mayonnaisey. Also, the thing about layered salads is how to get some of the bottom veggies when you are the first person to scoop from the bowl. That person gets all the dressing."
"I have made this salad many times and everyone has loved it!"