Layered Banana Pudding Recipe
My mother gave me this recipe, which an old friend had shared with her. When my children were still at home, we enjoyed this satisfying pudding often, and now I make it for company. There's no comparison between this recipe and the instant pudding mixes from the grocery store! —Esther Matteson, South Bend, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 4 to 6 medium firm bananas, sliced
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the flour and brown sugar. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Fold in the whipped cream.
- 3. Layer a third of the pudding in a 2-qt. glass bowl; top with half of the bananas. Repeat layers. Top with remaining pudding. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 333 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC