For a hearty make-ahead salad with a refreshing lemon dressing, try Overnight Salad. Gladys Serafine of Southbury, Connecticut notes, "My daughter has made this often for family gatherings."
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, torn
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large bunches romaine, torn
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In two 5-qt. bowls, layer spinach, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, romaine and onion. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper; spread evenly over the salads. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and chill 12-24 hours. Just before serving, add peas and toss. Yield: 50 servings (about 1 cup each).
Originally published as Overnight Salad in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p54
Reviews for Layer Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review