Layer Cake Meat Loaf Recipe
If the kids are always asking to eat dessert first, here's your chance. The moist "cake" layers are really full-flavored meat loaves "frosted" with instant mashed potatoes. Ketchup and mustard "icing" help complete the look.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- MASHED POTATOES:
- 4-2/3 cups water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 7 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 4-2/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- Ketchup and mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into two ungreased 9-in. square baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Stir in potato flakes. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Invert one meat loaf onto a serving platter; invert the second loaf onto a cutting board. Spread 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes over loaf on the platter. Carefully slide second loaf onto the potatoes.
- 5. Spread 3-1/2 cups mashed potatoes over top and sides. Spoon remaining mashed potatoes into a pastry bag with open star tip #195. Pipe a shell border around bottom and top edges. Place ketchup and mustard in separate resealable plastic bags; cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe onto potato border. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Layer Cake Meat Loaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC