- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- MASHED POTATOES:
- 4-2/3 cups water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 7 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 4-2/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- Ketchup and mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into two ungreased 9-in. square baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Stir in potato flakes. Remove from the heat.
- Invert one meat loaf onto a serving platter; invert the second loaf onto a cutting board. Spread 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes over loaf on the platter. Carefully slide second loaf onto the potatoes.
- Spread 3-1/2 cups mashed potatoes over top and sides. Spoon remaining mashed potatoes into a pastry bag with open star tip #195. Pipe a shell border around bottom and top edges. Place ketchup and mustard in separate resealable plastic bags; cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe onto potato border. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forLayer Cake Meat Loaf
"Great recipe, a lot of fun to serve! A bit difficult to make the mashed potatoes do what i wanted, but good fun anyhow! I didn't trick anyone with it tho, just had a good laugh."
"Made this for an April Fools dinner fundraiser at the lodge this year. Everyone said the flavor is outstanding and presentation was a lot of fun. Since I was working with a much larger quantity I didn't even try to spread the potatoes -- I wore disposable gloves and just patted handsful into place. It worked out really well. This recipe is good enough that it will probably replace my old stand-by for every day."
"This is really cleaver, but by the time you decorate and put on the finishing touches isn't it cold. How would you re-heat it?"
"This has become an April Fool's day tradition. When my daughter asked if she could lick the frosting bowl we knew it was a keeper. We now just make it because we enjoy the recipe as everyone knows the secret."
"This turned out nicely. Work quick with the mashed potatoes because as they cool they do not spread as well. I made this for the family and 2 of my daughters boyfriends. One boyfriend was very impressed! He even asked where I got the recipe. I told him Taste of Home! Thanks!"