- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons finely snipped dried lavender flowers, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and 2 teaspoons lavender; cover and set aside at room temperature for 24 hours.
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and remaining lavender. Combine flour, cornstarch and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork several times. Bake at 325° for 18-22 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Sift reserved lavender sugar; discard lavender. Dust cookies with the sugar. Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Lavender Shortbread in Birds & Blooms August/September 2000, p55
Reviews for Lavender Shortbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review