Lavender Peach Gelato Recipe
This sophisticated herbal gelato can be served as an appetizer, a palate-pleaser between courses or a dessert that tastes like heaven on a spoon.—Christine Wendland, Browns Mills, New Jersey
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and finely chopped
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cardamom pods and lavender. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain, discarding flowers and spices.
- 2. Return milk to the heat; stir in sugar. Cook until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- 3. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When gelato is frozen, stir in peaches. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 cups.
1/2 cup equals 206 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 177 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC