Lavender Peach Gelato Recipe
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and finely chopped
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cardamom pods and lavender. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain, discarding flowers and spices.
- 2. Return milk to the heat; stir in sugar. Cook until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- 3. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When gelato is frozen, stir in peaches. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 cups.
1/2 cup: 206 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Lavender Peach Gelato
"peaches are just getting ripe in our area and i tried this recipe and that it was wonderful.it made such a tasty treat on a warm fall day. i like that fact that it is made with 2% milk. that means i can enjoy even more.the only down part is that the dried lavender flowers werea bit hard to find."
"As a former herb class instructor, I've tried a number of herbal ice cream recipes over the years. This gelato is outstanding and I will definitely make it again!"
"The lavender and cardamon smell stong will cooking but mellow out once frozen taste great!"