- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and finely chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cardamom pods and lavender. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain, discarding flowers and spices.
- Return milk to the heat; stir in sugar. Cook until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When gelato is frozen, stir in peaches. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews for Lavender Peach Gelato
Sort By :
peaches are just getting ripe in our area and i tried this recipe and that it was wonderful.
it made such a tasty treat on a warm fall day. i like that fact that it is made with 2% milk. that means i can enjoy even more.
the only down part is that the dried lavender flowers werea bit hard to find.
As a former herb class instructor, I've tried a number of herbal ice cream recipes over the years. This gelato is outstanding and I will definitely make it again!
The lavender and cardamon smell stong will cooking but mellow out once frozen taste great!