Lavender Ice Cream Recipe
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup fresh lavender flowers or 2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°. Remove from the heat; add lavender. Cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain, discarding lavender.
- 2. Return to the heat; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 pint.
1/2 cup equals 373 calories, 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 279 mg cholesterol, 43 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.