Lauren's Bouillabaisse Recipe
This golden-colored soup is brimming with an assortment of seafood and is topped with savory and colorful sourdough croutons. Lauren Covas, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red pepper, drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3-1/2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups clam juice
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 24 fresh littleneck clams
- 24 fresh mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 pound red snapper fillet, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place red pepper and mayonnaise in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
- For croutons, rub one side of each bread slice with garlic; discard garlic. Cut bread slices in half. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- In a stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes and saffron. Add the potatoes, fennel, broth, clam juice and tarragon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the clams, mussels, snapper and shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until clams and mussels open and fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard any unopened clams or mussels. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with parsley. Spread pepper mayo over croutons; serve with bouillabaisse. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lauren's Bouillabaisse in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p79
Reviews for Lauren's Bouillabaisse(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review