Lattice-Topped Turkey Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place first 10 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Whisk flour and evaporated milk until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add frozen vegetables and turkey; heat through, stirring occasionally. Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 3. For crust, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt; stir in 3 tablespoons milk and oil. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 8-in. square; cut into strips. Arrange over filling, trimming edges. Brush strips with remaining milk; sprinkle with paprika.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, until filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 280 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Lattice-Topped Turkey Casserole
"Pretty good1 Nope you never miss the fat I add a bit more rosemary, thyme, and garlic."