Lattice-Topped Turkey Casserole Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk flour and evaporated milk until smooth; stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vegetables and turkey; heat through. Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 3. For crust, combine the flours, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Stir in 3 tablespoons milk and oil just until combined. Roll out and cut into strips; make a lattice crust over filling. Trim and seal edges. Brush lattice top with remaining milk; sprinkle with paprika.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 272 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Lattice-Topped Turkey Casserole
"Pretty good1 Nope you never miss the fat I add a bit more rosemary, thyme, and garlic."