Lattice-Topped Apple Pie Recipe
You can’t beat my mom’s yummy apple pie. Pretty as a picture, the golden crust is flaky and the filling has just the right amount of spices. —Anne Halfhill, Worthing, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, water, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust.
- 4. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 456 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC