Lattice Blackberry Bars Recipe
"I pick blackberries--my son's favorite fruit--to make this dessert for family gatherings," says Donna Miklavic of Butler, Pennsylvania. "Blueberries are a great substitute."
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blackberries
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla until smooth; add to crumb mixture. Toss with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. For filling, combine 2 cups sugar and flour in a large saucepan; add blackberries. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and cinnamon. Cool slightly.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle; transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread with filling. Roll remaining dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Make a lattice crust over filling; seal and flute edges.
- 4. Brush egg over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 503 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Lattice Blackberry Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC