Lasagna with White Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 10 to 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the cheese; set aside.
- Pour half of the meat sauce into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half the lasagna noodles and remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining noodles. Pour white sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until bubbly and noodles are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lasagna with White Sauce
Sort By :
My family of eight has been asking for this delicious & easy dish since it was first published in TOH in 1994. They just asked for it for New Year's Day! Because it's filled with ingredients I always have on hand, I can always satisfy their request. Sometimes I add sliced pepperoni to make it a little more special. And, I always use a full cup of mozzarella cheese in the sauce & for the topping. We like lots of cheese in Italian dishes.
Make this once in a while. Everyone loves.
My family loves lasagna, and never have ricotta cheese on hand, this recipes uses staples that I always have on hand and it is delicious.
you have to try this! It is our favorite lasagn recipe and it is so easy.. I did double the amount of tomatoes, tomato paste, beef granules, and Italian seasoning. The first time I doubled the cayenne and regular pepper it was a bit hot so I don't double those anymore. I doubled the sauce because it didn't seem like there was quite enough of it for this many noodles. Very good you'll know why it won the blue ribbon!