It's a shame that Suzanne Dole only fixes Lasagna with Two Sauces on an annual basis. The satisfying casserole is loaded with great flavor. "Please help me make over this luscious lasagna," writes the Claremont, New Hampshire cook. "It's one of our favorites, but with these ingredients, we can only enjoy it once a year."
- 1-1/2 pounds each ground beef and ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- CREAM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, garlic and oregano in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the wine or broth. Simmer, uncovered, until wine is almost completely reduced. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Add cream cheese and seasonings. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth and thickened.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, spread 1 cup meat sauce. Layer with 5 noodles, a third each cream cheese and meat sauces and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, cream cheese sauce, meat sauce and Parmesan cheese. (Pan will be full.) Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Lasagna with Two Sauces in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p23
Reviews for Lasagna with Two Sauces
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review