Lasagna with Two Sauces Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds each ground beef and ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- CREAM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, garlic and oregano in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the wine or broth. Simmer, uncovered, until wine is almost completely reduced. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Add cream cheese and seasonings. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth and thickened.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, spread 1 cup meat sauce. Layer with 5 noodles, a third each cream cheese and meat sauces and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, cream cheese sauce, meat sauce and Parmesan cheese. (Pan will be full.) Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Lasagna with Two Sauces
Sort By :
I love this recipe! I make it the original way I found it though. That is with 1 pound of lean hamburger and 1\2 pound of pork. Then with a cup or so of prepared bular wheat. It cuts the fat in almost half and you can not tell the difference. The wheat takes on the texture of the missing meat! I feel guilty everytime I make this because I have abandoned my late grandmother's family recipe for it. It's just that fantastic!