- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, fennel and
- pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine the
- egg, ricotta cheese, parsley and salt. Drain noodles and rinse in
- cold water. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish
- coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, 2 cups meat
- sauce, 2/3 cup ricotta cheese mixture, 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1/4
- cup Parmesan. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or
- until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 323 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.