- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture and spaghetti sauce (dish will be full).
Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Lasagna Casserole
"Cou;d you use turkey instead of ground beef? Thanks"
"I made it with rigatoni instead of shells, and a little bit lighter, less mozzarella and less butter, and it still turned up delicious!"
"Our whole family enjoyed this easy lasagna dish! I did cut back on onion and cheese a bit but was still very good!"
"It was ok-good enough to eat, but not my favourite meal. Usually I read reviews before making something for the first time, but for whatever reason I didn't this time. Really wish I did! I will make this again someday, but next time I will use more sauce and mix it all together. i found it a bit dry, since the sauce didn't permeate the noodles. I'll also add more cheese next time, but that's only because I'm gluttonous with cheese!"
"Feed my family of six with leftovers! Really tasty & filling! Made no adjustments, was great! Took longer to put together than 15 minutes though!!!"
"This was a great recipe! Excellent way to have lasagna with less work! I used penne pasta instead of shells, and it turned out great."
"Made this for the second time today. I used ricotta cheese as I don't like cottage cheese. I added a few more spices too (oregano and basil). Since I didn't have a 3qt pan I used a 4qt which worked well. Next time I may add more sauce and sausage. Everyone liked it."
"This is a wonderful recipe - easy to make and quite delicious! I made it as the recipe said but added basil to the ricotta and Italian seasoning to the beef (everyone has their preferences in spices and herbs). I prefer it to both lasagne and spaghetti and meatball dishes because of the ease in preparation as well as the fact that it's easy to eat. It's a really good party dish - you can make it with confidence."