- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture and spaghetti sauce (dish will be full).
Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Lasagna Casserole
"This is a good, hearty meal. I made it as directed. It is true that this is A VERY full dish once all ingredients are added! I used a cookie sheet underneath mine in case of boil over and I'm glad I did. Next time I believe I'll use about 3/4 cup less pasta and perhaps use Italian sausage just to spice it up a bit. Was by no means bland, just would like to "snaz" it up a bit. Will certainly add this to my pasta recipes to make again. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I make this but use hot sausage, 3/4 lb of pasta ..and I always use ricotta cheese if a recipe calls for cottage cheese...cottage cheese is disgusting in a saucey cassetole"
"Turns out perfect every time! Easy to make. The whole family likes it."
"Loved this recipe. Easy to make, freezes well. Better than lasagna"
"This recipe is ok. If I make it again I will use less pasta and more sauce. I thought it was alittle dry, but the taste was pretty good inspite of the dryness."