- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture and spaghetti sauce (dish will be full).
Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Lasagna Casserole
Sort By :
"I made this last night..and followed the recipe exactly.... except I used Turkey ( I don't eat Beef- and it still tasted great!) .. it was the best dish I have ever eaten. My husband loved it (he had 3 servings). I wouldn't change a thing...just PERFECT. There was so much in the pan we will have this for the next few days. I brought it to work today and everybody had a sample...and each left with the recipe. Love this..thank you, Deb for submitting it..it's a keeper!"
"This is a great casserole! I have a family of five to feed and this even gave me leftovers! Not a lot of ingredients, very simple to prepare, and all five of us loved it. In my book, that's dinner time success!"
"This is a tasty dish. I used hot sausage instead of the ground beef so I didn't add any onion, salt, or pepper. All I had to use for pasta was acini de pepe and it turned out fine. I cut the amount of cheese in half and it was plenty for this recipe. Everyone liked it."
"Great recipe! The whole family loved it. I used home-made marinara sauce instead of the jarred sauce. This one is definitely a keeper."
"This was excellent and really did taste like lasagna! I made a few changes....I used lean ground turkey (1.5 pounds bc that's what I had), added garlic and green chiles (only bc I had half a can in the fridge). I used 1% cottage cheese. I used a jarred mushroom spaghetti sauce. With the extra meat I used, this made more like 8-10 servings. I now have lunches for the week and THEN SOME!"