- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla strips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook pork and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the broth, hominy, chilies, jalapeno if desired, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir in cilantro. Serve with tortilla strips if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Land of Enchantment Posole
"Excellent! Followed the recipe exactly. Provided this for a church function and got great reviews."
"Since making this recipe exactly as printed is the best and only posole served in this house! Outstanding!!"
"This is the Posole I remember when I lived in Taos, NM 40 years ago. I tend to use bouillon cubes instead of broth, unless I have fresh. I really like to use fresh chicken broth (or cubes). Additionally I use fresh chilis and or Anaheim chilies(instead of canned chilis) but add late to the cooking process so they don't 'disappear'. It sounds like I'm changing up the recipe but back then we used what we had and the spices for this recipe are spot on. My wife hates hominy but loves this soup especially with lots of garnish (but we substitute jicama for the radish)."
"Good recipe! I did add 1 - 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, and used low sodium beef broth, plus omitted the salt to make is lower in sodium."
"Our family loved this posole from the first time I made it! I double the recipe and I leave out the cayenne pepper-just a personal preference. We love to garnish with onions, cilantro and thinly sliced fried corn tortilla strips~so delicious!"
"We loved this! The only thing I changed was using the granulated beef boulion rather than the broth, and making it a second time with the liquid boxed broth, it was actually better with the granuals. I did used an extra can of hominy because I had it. Also...it's definitely better after a day or two."
"Really good, easy recipe. The whole family loved it!"
"I leave out the chips and add onion, radishes, and lettuce on the side. It's how my host mom from Mexico made it. :)"