Lamb with Apricots
When I was a new bride, I decided to prepare a special Hanukkah for my husband, David, and me to share. The star was this lamb entree, which had been one of my favorites when I was growing up. Dried apricots add a touch of sweetness to the tender lamb, which is gently spiced.Rachel Delano, Tappahannock, Virginia
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cubed
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, cinnamon and coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the lamb and
- seasonings. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until meat is browned.
- Add apricots, orange juice, almonds and orange peel.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Stir in broth. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Sprinkle with
- sesame seeds. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 280 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.