- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 8 frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour and pepper. Add lamb, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown lamb in batches in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onions, beans and carrot; cover and cook 20-30 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer stew to a greased 5-cup baking dish. Pipe or spoon mash potatoes around edges. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Lamb Shepherd's Pie in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p201
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lamb Shepherd's Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review