When my husband was on his second helping of this dish, I surprised him by telling him the ingredients— two foods he's not especially fond of. Now he asks for this dish often!
- 1 pound ground lamb or pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli, blanched
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a skillet, cook lamb and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, sour cream, bread crumbs, garlic, seasoned salt and pepper. Mix in meat and onion.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a piece of waxed paper. Brush with butter; continue layering with 9 more sheets of dough, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Spoon half of the meat mixture on dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with the short end.
- Place the roll, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush tops of rolls with remaining butter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lamb Broccoli Strudel in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p49
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Lamb Broccoli Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review